Peace of mind comes piece by piece.
This Journal entry is a follow-on to the last 4 Journal writings which covered the biochemistry and physiology of meditation, mitochondria, and methylation, as well as a variety of health considerations associated with these 3 important processes of life.
The last Journal ended with the words, “It’s time to shift gears…”
This Journal entry is an opinion about the shifting of the 4 gears of body, mind, emotion, and spirit…and so…this writing is a little introduction to some functional considerations of your very own four-on-the-floor carbon based Spirit vehicle. While practicing my own driving over the years I have developed a good driving record, and I have been able to help a lot of types of blow-outs, burn-outs, and wreckage along the way.
Sometimes, while driving along, we experience some kind of glitch in the transmission part of our drive train. Then we have to stop in to a mechanic’s shop, or perhaps a more specialized transmission shop, for a transmission check. If you don’t watch out, and before you know it, they might become aggressive and drop the tranny off of the drive train for an overhaul. At the very least they might just do a transmission fluid check and a road test.
There is no one who is a better expert of your vehicle than you, but you have not been taught and empowered with that sense of your own knowing. You are the expert of your vehicle. Learn how to take care of it yourself so that you do not have to visit mechanics. Remember, your vehicle has a built-in healing and repair intelligence. This is the very best intelligence that one can get to know. Get to know all 4 gears and how they operate in the life long transmission of your life.
This repair mechanism, which I call the Divine Healing Intelligence (DHI), is so refined and divinely evolved that no one can adequately describe it. Nonetheless, you can download these ideas into your own mind and add them to your mental Owner’s Manual as an addendum, if you like. I hope to leave you with some worthwhile tips for your driving safety and pleasure.
In the shifting of our four-on-the-floor gears of body-mind-emotion-spirit we can begin with a consideration of the mind gear and how we might learn to shift this gear more efficiently, and not wear it out, and not allow it to foul up the rest of the gears in the transmission case.
The mind gear is often the most clunky and difficult of the gears in the day to day gear shifting and motoring of a life process. This is because we are continually lapsing into some kind of an identity crisis as we attempt to get our mind into the correct transmission gear position and orientation. Everybody visits this identity crisis…every day.
What is God’s idea of Itself as your life?
In awakening from the dream of my character role in the play of life, I realize that I do have a role to play, but I do not believe that I am the persona mask that I am wearing. The unique individuation of the Soul that each of us is can only be expressed when our smaller self is overcome and begins to retire. Because we remain conditioned in the matrix of life’s various illusions most of us never find out what Soul wants to express through our lives.
Life on this earth plane may be thought of as a gymnasium for the exercise of the Soul and those parts of its spirit force which it injected into our physical bodies for the purpose of its healing and evolution.
The Christian contemplative, Cynthia Bourgeault, has said, “We all have a GPS inside us, a God Positioning System: the heart. When the heart is attuned, it will allow us to perceive in a whole different way. The egoic, binary (brain mind) operating system perceives by separating and differentiating things from each other. The heart’s perception is pattern oriented. It perceives the whole and then discerns its own place within that whole.”
The heart is the seat of the mind. This statement is generally regarded as the literal truth in all transcultural traditions outside of current day western cultures. This is a well substantiated and researched idea whose time has come. If humanity is going to evolve out of its barbaric earth destroying and human destroying nature, then heart based consciousness and qualities must be embraced by more and more of humanity.
There is no sense in challenging other people on their gear shifting identity crisis and trying to get them to own up to their denial issues. You will be involved and busy enough just taking care of your own vehicle. If you have done good, then others will notice and they will probably be inquiring as to who you are, and how you did it.
Our coordination and timing with how we use the clutch (pause) device almost always needs assistance. An endless array of driving schools, clinics, therapists, and guru types have sprung up, since forever, in order to help drivers become more facile in the manner of how the mind gear pauses, functions, and flows in the transmission of a life.
And moreover, attendant to these considerations, it seems that almost everyone has forgotten how to put the transmission into neutral from time to time.
Some of us never even learned the neutral position. And many of us seem to be forever stuck in reverse. Our vehicular ego containers are jerking and lurching about in a thousand outer directions…a foot on the gas, or a foot on the brake, or a foot on the gas and the brake at the same time. This is a chaotic way to drive and live.
In developing our practice of how to Mind our Mind, we have to consider that which it is accustomed to doing…all the time…and that is that the mind is always thinking. We are addicted to our way of thinking, and this addiction leads to all of the other types of addictions which we practice.
And so, a work-up of the content of this Journal writing will consider the one universal addiction which all humans have…and that is that we are all addicted to thinking in our brain mind. This addiction is so pervasive and so universally common and so human that it is simply dismissed and not even considered as an addiction by the vast majority of people. However, it is the primary foundational addiction from which all of the other addictions arise.
Once you learn how to liberate discursive thoughts as they arise, then they cannot take hold and create more karmic baggage and drag on your journey.
From our memories of our painful past and our personal inventory of unresolved and unforgiven traumatic imprints, we create and enable every subsequent type of chemical, behavioral, and dissociative addiction which has ever been tried.
We create these secondary addictive processes to try to numb and placate the pain which may be associated with the primary addiction, which is…simply put…how we think.
As I have often stated in these writings, an addiction is any behavior which we do that is based on a fear of internal growth.
If you can feel it, you can heal it. You are invited to consider coming out of denial about your addiction processes. Then the mind gear and the emotion gear have a better chance of becoming clarified as tools of discernment and discrimination and then meshing correctly with the drive train of the body gear and the spirit gear.
More to come…I’ll have to get in my mind and think it up…
Signing off from Crestone…and Beyond.
- Minding your Meditation…an earlier Journal entry on this website. With practice meditation quiets and clarifies the mind.
- This is Your Brain on Bliss…by Buddhist monk Matthew Ricard, “the happiest man alive.”
- What Happens to Your Body When You Use the Internet…problems created by digital dependence.
- Turning Negative Thinkers into Positive Ones…a nice brief article from the NYT about a noble 8-fold practice to turn automatic negative thoughts (ANTS) into what I term as APTS, automatic positive thoughts…you develop an new and enlivening aptitude.
- The Zen of Not Knowing…”In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s there are few.”
- The Wise Investigator…a Burmese Buddhist monk explains.
- Samadhi Movie, 2017-Part I-“The Illusion of Self”…this is a beautiful 1 hour movie journey that will help open your doors of perception. Take the time to sit with this production, with earphones and no distractions.
- Finding Freedom Right Here, Right Now…some nice perspectives on real happiness from thought leader Jack Kornfield.
- Gratitude…a nice brief synopsis of the health benefits of gratitude.
- The Power of the Third Moment…insightful commentary about the moments of sensing, arising, and reacting and how to create mental composure for the best karmic outcome. “By widening the gap between action and reaction, you can gain some distance from your automatic responses and also gain an opportunity to know your emotions. You can stop being ruled by these emotions and instead begin to rule your experience of life.”
- Train Your Mind: Don’t Be Frivolous…a clear and succinct commentary on one of the mind training teachings from a well known Buddhist tradition. This is a timely commentary for today’s frivolous culture.
- There are 4 writings on this website about how the heart functions outside of its role of pumping blood. These electromagnetic considerations are all important for body-mind-emotion-spirit health, and are the most important considerations for living a happy and healthy life that I know of. There are many many people who live happy and healthy lives in our world who would never need to read such writings. They are the living examples of a glowing heart and a beautiful mind…1) The Pulse of Life, 2) The Spiral of Life, 3) The Prayer of Life, and 4) The Beginning of Life.