This Journal posting is going to present a number of very good nutritional supplements which can be used to improve neurological conditions. I am going to step through this explanation by using the BRIGHT MINDS mnemonic introduced recently by psychiatrist Daniel Amen, M.D. in his latest book Memory Rescue.
I am writing this particular Journal as a reference point for my clients who will have one or more issues to consider and contend with in the BRIGHT MINDS categories of central nervous system health.
At the end of the explanations and recommendations for all of the letters of BRIGHT MINDS there will be a summary listing of the most important nutrient formulations for your consideration. In this conclusion, I’ll use the categories of Alzheimer’s which comes from the valuable 2 decades running clinical research of Dr. Dale Bredesen, M.D., as is presented in his recent book The End of Alzheimer’s. I’ll also base this listing on the conditions and the genetic issues which I commonly encounter in my clients.
If your memory is not as good as it was ten years ago, then your risk for degenerative brain disease, and other chronic degenerative diseases, has risen. There is no time better than the present moment to begin to incorporate new lifestyle habits to promote better nutrition, better stress management, better exercise, and better sleep, rest, and recreation. In crafting new resolutions every day to address these foundational health parameters, we are crafting a healed future life.
It is now known from many well respected corners of clinical research that a wholesome, clean low carbohydrate, high fat diet which is moderate in protein is the best type of diet for brain health, as well as general overall physical health. High carbohydrate food choices, sugar, trans fats, food additives, and processed foods are damaging to the brain, and all cellular life in the body.
Brain healthy diets which I routinely recommend to clients in some form of individualized hybrid style depend on the clients’ clinical situation, which includes all of one’s co-morbid conditions. In consideration of the numerous chronic degenerative diseases which are epidemic in our culture, I have found that the best diet styles include some individualized hybrid variation of: the Paleo diet, the Mediterranean diet, the ketogenic diet, and the grain free and lectin free diets. Fasting regimens, as discussed in the Journal entitled Detoxification, can also play a very important role.
In previous Journals I have been building a case for focus on brain health as the key vital organ whose correct nourishment and overall management via healthy lifestyle pursuits will insure a healthy and vital life. This is desirable for all the right reasons one would want, not the least of which is reduction or elimination of visits into the current form of the health care industry except for urgent or emergent conditions.
Previous Journals which were written and detail some of the concepts of brain health and total body health are:
- Brain Health
- Blood Sugar and Brain Health
- Brain Health and the Degenerative Disease Spectrum
- Preventing and Reversing Dementia
- The Present Moment
In the most recent of these Journals I introduced the work of psychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen, M.D., who is a noted researcher and 10 times NYT bestselling author. He founded the Amen Clinics, which currently exist in 7 locations throughout the country. He has done much to help people understand how to take hold of their brain health, and their lives.
In a recent interview of Dr. Amen, conducted by neurologist David Perlmutter, M.D. on his superb web broadcast The Empowering Neurologist, I listened in as they unraveled the explanation of a clever mnemonic which Dr. Amen has introduced for helping each of us understand the biochemical areas of focus which will improve our brain and whole body health.
His easy to remember mnemonic is BRIGHT MINDS. I’ll go through what each letter stands for and suggest nutritional supplements which are supported by clinical science, and serve to enhance the principle of each letter of the mnemonic.
I recommend the supplements crafted by Designs for Health. This nutritional supplement company has well sourced and formulated nutritional supplements which are based on current clinical science. This nearly 30 year old product line is robustly diverse and condition specific without being overwhelming in the extent of its offering. It offers everything that I need to help patient clientele with whom I consult regarding chronic degenerative disease concerns, genetics, and polypharmacy regimens.
I’ll list each of the letters of the BRIGHT MINDS mnemonic, what the letter stands for in our physiological functioning, and which DFH supplements help improve this physiologic parameter. As an obvious disclaimer, the use of nutritional supplements without correct and balanced lifestyle practices of good nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress reduction, and the development of a life fulfilling passions and spiritual approach will not be fully effective.
If you are eating processed foods, sugar, trans fats…if you are not exercising…if you do not get adequate sleep and recreation…if you have no life passions or social bonding…then you have more things to work on besides a nice nutritional supplement program.
I recommend Dr. Amen’s book because it covers all of the important considerations in an interesting and simple-to-read understandable style. He covers each letter of the mnemonic in a comprehensive manner and explains all of the important lifestyle factors which promote brain health in that area of consideration, as well as important elements of body-mind-emotions-spirit.
In the text below I will be listing the names of specific nutritional products which cover the general supplement categories he offers for each condition in the mnemonic. This listing will be a long one and there will be repetitions of certain supplements. At the end I’ll redefine a more condensed supplement listing of the most important ones to consider using for improvement of brain health, as well as general health maintenance.
B is for Blood Flow
Healthy unrestricted blood flow is necessary to deliver all nutrients to the brain, and to remove waste substances and metabolites. Healthy blood flow to the brain is dependent on the health of the heart’s muscular pumping power and the health of the blood vessels which transport the blood. Heart disease, hypertension, and atherosclerosis are the major issues to consider in terms of healthy blood flow. It helps to think of the heart and blood vessels as the one organ that they are. Without belaboring the pathophysiology of these 3 conditions, here are some good supplements which help:
- HTN Complex…a blend of herbal, vitamin, mineral, and antioxidants which increases cardiac output and relaxes blood vessels. The main ingredient is hawthorne.
- L-Arginine…the amino acid precursor of nitric oxide, which nourishes the inner lining of blood vessels and relaxes the smooth muscle of blood vessels.
- NOx Synergy…a pleasant grape flavored powder containing arginine, citrulline, taurine, creatine, glutathione, and folate. This synergistic formula helps increase the synthesis and decrease the degradation of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide improves cardiovascular function and circulation.
- Brain Vitale…contains gingko biloba which increases brain blood flow. This is a premier product which also contains the precursors of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This is the main neurotransmitter which declines in Alzheimer’s disease. This supplement formulation also contains coffee fruit concentrate which is a proven and well regarded brain nutrient.
- OmegAvail fish oil supplements…a variety of omega 3 fatty acids correctly formulated in the triglyceride bound form for maximum absorption, arranged in an impressive array of choices and styles. Omega fats increase blood flow, decrease brain atrophy, increase working memory, executive function and mood, and decrease inflammation.
- Tri-K…contains vitamin K1 and 2 forms of vitamin K2. Vitamin K2 is usually low in Americans, and it is necessary to move calcium into the bones via the calcium transport proteins. If vitamin K2 is low, calcium will deposit in tissues other than bones, such as in blood vessels and joints. Low vitamin K2 is an important consideration in the generation of atherosclerosis. I wrote a comprehensive Journal entitled Vitamin K2 which explains this biochemistry.
- CogniAid…contains green tea catechins (EGCG) which increases blood flow, improves vascular tone, and helps manage hypertension. This supplement also contains a unique blending of wild blueberry complex which is a potent antioxidant, and a variety of nootropic (brain function enhancers) compounds such as bacopa, vinpocetin, and huperzine-A.
- Grape Seed Supreme…contains pycnogenol, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent which protects brain circulation. Pycnogenol has shown benefits for memory, attention, and cognitive function.
- Resveratrol Supreme…contains resveratrol which also serves to improve blood vessel health by its powerful antioxidant properties. Resveratrol is also effective in improving insulin resistance and lowering blood sugar.
- Probiotic Supreme DF and Probiotic Synergy…probiotics help lower LDL cholesterol, blood pressure, inflammatory chemistry, elevated blood sugar, elevated body weight and elevated BMI. Probiotics help establish the chemical and cellular health of the GI tract, which is the “second brain” and is where all health and disease begins.
- Vessel Forte…a blend of traditional herbs and antioxidants known to improve blood vessel health, integrity, and elasticity.
R is for Retirement
As we age, our brains become can become less active. Retirement in the older years should be filled with a variety of creative and purposeful pursuits. This is an important chapter in Memory Rescue and it really applies to anyone of any age. This chapter covers such subjects as free radicals and oxidative stress, mitochondrial chemistry, iron levels, chromosomal telomere length, AGEs (advanced glycation end products), neurotransmitter loss (serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, GABA), and social isolation.
Here are some good supplements to consider using to help these conditions:
- Mitochondrial NRG…an advanced formula containing the ingredients needed by the mitochondria to produce the cellular energy molecule of life, which is ATP. Please see the website writing Minding your Mitochondria which explains mitochondrial chemistry in more detail, as well as other important supplements to assist mitochondrial health.
- CoQnol 50 and CoQnol 100…the reduced ubiquinol form of coenzyme Q10 which is an important substrate in mitochondrial production of ATP. The reduced ubiquinol form of CoQ10 is needed because the body’s ability to transform the oxidized form of CoQ10 known as ubiquinone has declined with aging. Both ubiquinol and ubiquinone are necessary to assist mitochondrial production of ATP.
- Q-Evail 100 and Q-Evail 200…the oxidized form of CoQ10, known as ubiquinone, which is needed by the mitochondria, and is also needed to cycle into the formation of the reduced form, ubiquinol.
- Lithium Synergy…contains lithium orotate in a low dose formulation. Lithium is a critical brain nutrient which is uniformly low in most people. It is necessary to drive many important biochemical pathways affecting brain health, such as the production of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) which drives neuroplasticity and neuronal regeneration. Articles on lithium appear in the references and reading list at the end of this writing.
- Brain Vitale…contains the precursors for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which gives the brain speed, youthfulness, and memory. This neurotransmitter declines with age and is the main neurotransmitter loss which is present in Alzheimer’s dementia. The precursors of acetylcholine are phosphatidylserine, glycerophosphocholine, and acetyl-L carnitine. These 3 brain nutrients also come as individual products, and appear in other product combinations, as shown in these separate links. Coffee fruit extract in this product stimulates the all important brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).
- CogniAid…contains Huperzine-A which blocks the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine. It also contains other brain supporting compounds as listed in the description above. It is effective in helping cognitive impairment in those with Alzheimer’s as well as vascular dementia. The bacopa in this supplement is a traditional Indian herb which improves memory and other brain functions by improving the brain’s intrinsic neurotransmitters and growth factors, such as BDNF.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)…the amino acid precursor of the body’s most powerful antioxidant which is glutathione. NAC can also assist in the removal of heavy metals, help detoxify environmental toxins, decrease inflammation, and thus mitigate brain atrophy.
- Ultimate Antioxidant Full Spectrum…contains a wide host of synergistic herbs along with classic and novel antioxidants. An important inclusion in this formula is sage which acts somewhat like Huperzine-A. This supplement works in both water-based and lipid-based cellular structures, which is an important consideration, especially for the brain.
- Carnosine Supreme…carnosine is an important nutrient found in meat which reduces glycation of proteins by sugars. Advanced glycosylated end products (AGEs) are a key pathway of the aging process.
- Iodine Synergy…iodine is another mineral which is commonly low in Americans. This mineral is essential for the health and function of brain, salivary glands, thyroid gland, thymus gland, stomach, pancreas, ovaries, breasts, and skin. Iodine is a halogen element in the Periodic Table of the Elements. The other halogen elements are chlorine, fluorine, and bromine. These 3 halogens are toxic because they competitively block iodine receptors, thus interfering with how organs are able to use iodine. These 3 halogen compounds should be eliminated and avoided. When using a lithium supplement, the concomitant and balanced use of iodine and vitamin B12 is important.
- PreTrain NRG…this powder is a specific pre-workout formula providing safe, beneficial nutrients to help support focus, power, and mental energy in athletes. The ingredients include creatine, tyrosine, acetyl L-carnitine, caffeine from green coffee, theanine, and ATP. While this formula was designed to assist athletic performance and recovery, it is an excellent product to use at any time of day when more mental clarity and mental power is desired. It is supportive and rejuvenative for brain function.
- Kre Alkalyn Pro…a buffered formulation containing 900 mg. of creatine per capsule designed for utilization without the kinds of biochemical side effects which unbuffered creatine creates. In my practice, the real reason to use creatine is for the brain health effects which creatine provides. Others may wish to use it to enhance muscular development in their exercise program. However, creatine is a very important nutrient to consider in a brain health regimen as it is effective in improving cognition, memory, Parkinsonian symptoms, dementia symptoms, and more. Creatine also assists mitochondrial regeneration and mitochondrial efficiency of ATP production. Furthermore, vegans and vegetarians will be deficient in nutrients which are important for mitochondrial health and function: carnitine, carnosine, creatine, and vitamin B12. These nutrients are found in meat.
- Carnitine Synergy…a blending of L-carnitine and acetyl L-carnitine. Carnitine is essential for fat burning in the mitochondria. Acetyl L-carnitine has noted brain enhancing effects, and is one of the essential precursors of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
- Phosphatidyl choline capsules and powder…this substance is a phospholipid, also known as lecithin, and is a major component of cell membranes. It is found is very high concentration in brain tissue where it is a principle architectural component of all brain cells.
I is for Inflammation
The foundational biochemistry of all diseases requires the presence of the chemistry of inflammation in order for the disease condition to develop and progress. This is true for every disease; from depression to cancer to osteoporosis to dementia. Inflammatory chemistry is enhanced by negative lifestyle practices. Once again, such practices include eating processed foods, sugars, and trans fats, drinking soda and alcohol, smoking, toxin exposure of any kind, stress, poor sleep, and sedentary lifestyle.
An important consideration in brain inflammation is elevation of homocysteine, which is a normal and important amino acid metabolite in our biochemistry. Homocysteine is inflammatory to blood vessels and brain tissue when elevated. It is controlled into normal ranges by healthy methylation chemistry, a subject covered in the Journal writing entitled Minding your Methylation.
Supplements which have a very good track record of helping reduce inflammation include:
- OmegAvail fish oil supplements…omega 3 fatty acids correctly formulated for maximum absorption arranged in an impressive array of choices and styles. Omega fats decrease inflammation, increase blood flow, decrease brain atrophy, increase working memory, executive function, and mood. In the suite of OmegAvail products the Omegatropic and CannabOmega are brain specific.
- Curcum-Evail…formulated for maximum absorption and bioavailability, this compound contains the 3 most bioactive and health promoting curcuminoids which are also the strongest and most protective and best researched constituents of the turmeric root. This formula also comes in a very pleasant and good tasting lower dosing chewable form known as Curcum-Evail Chewables.
- Homocysteine Supreme…formulated with vitamin B12 and natural folates as well as other compounds which assist methylation pathways. This compound is very effective in lowering homocysteine levels. Your homocysteine level is easy to determine with a common blood study which should be part of the laboratory panels of all people over age 50.
- Inflammatone…a mixture of proteolytic enzymes which modulate the inflammatory response and support the clearance of proteins like fibrin and kinin which contribute to hypercoagulable blood states. This compound also helps protect against oxidative stress.
- Vitamin D formulations…DFH offers vitamin D in a variety of strengths and blendings. All of the vitamin D supplements made by DFH are compounded with vitamin K2 which is essential for moving calcium into the bones and keeping it from depositing in peripheral tissues such as blood vessels. Low levels of vitamin D promotes inflammation, and thus all of the diseases which are associated with vitamin D deficiency. Please see the Journal entitled Vitamin D where the biochemistry of vitamin D and the different DFH vitamin D compounds is explained.
- Probiotic Supreme DF and Probiotic Synergy…as above, these probiotic formulations insure a healthy gut microbiome, which is essential for reducing inflammation throughout the body.
- PaleoFiber…a unique blend of 12 different forms of fiber which provide insoluble fiber for stool bulk and cleansing and also has forms of insoluble fiber which support healthy gut microbial growth and diversity.
G is for Genetics
The genetic issues which increase dementia risks encompass a large subject matter and includes all of the body’s biochemical pathways. Some of the important biochemical pathways where genetic problems may affect brain health include the biochemistry of detoxification, neurotransmitters, methylation, endocrine, cardiovascular, and gastrointestinal functions, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
The important and very specific genetic variations which affect brain health that are important to consider are the genetics of the individual neurotransmitters, as well as important brain proteins and enzymes NTRK2, BDNF, COMT, and DAOA. These 4 important brain chemicals are easily tested with an at-home salivary test kit from www.23andMe.com. These are extremely common nervous system mutations. Here is a brief summary of these particular brain chemicals:
- BDNF…brain derived neurotrophic factor…a brain regenerative protein which is diminished when mutated.
- NTRK2…the molecular receptor for BDNF which results in BDNF’s effects of neuroregeneration and neuroplasticity, but not so efficiently when mutated.
- COMT…catechol O-methyl tranferase is an enzyme which breaks down the catecholamine neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine. If allowed to build up in the nervous system due to COMT mutations, these neurotransmitters add more chemical and psychological stress into the brain and body.
- DAOA…a central nervous system enzyme which results in increased cognitive manic symptoms when mutated.
Other important contributing genetic conditions include ApoE status (especially the ApoE4 gene status), the amyloid precursor protein (APP), the presinilin 1 gene (PSEN1), and the presinilin 2 (PSEN2) gene. These genes and proteins are well covered in many available readings on the web. See reading reference #9 at the end of this writing. The ApoE gene has received a lot of due attention lately, and is well covered in Dr. Amen’s book. Variants of the ApoE gene significantly increase Alzheimer’s risk. See reading reference #7 and #8 in the reading list.
Your genetic blueprint is not your destiny. Genes do not express themselves autonomously. Genes require the chemical signaling of epigenetics to cause their expression. Epigenetics is everything that we do which affects gene expression. Basically, epigenetics is all of our lifestyle choices, behavior, emotions, and environment.
I cover these kinds of topics in the Journal entitled Your Personal Genetic Analysis.
All of the nutritional supplements mentioned in this writing affect genetic expression in a positive way and should be exactly and individually tailored to assist mutated gene function by a health practitioner who is practiced in this kind of therapeutic science, which is now known as nutrigenomics.
Based on the genetic studies and mutations which my clients present with which strongly affect brain health, the following nutrients are commonly recommended:
- Lithium Synergy…lithium is a critical co-factor for the function of a number of brain proteins and enzymes, such as BDNF, NTRK2, and DAOA. It is also essential in the recycling of vitamin B12 in the methylation enzyme MTR. Mutations in these 4 gene expressions are extremely common. Most people are lithium deficient.
- Trifolamin…a potent high dose mixture of the 3 natural and correct forms of vitamin B12, namely, methylcobalamin, hydroxycobalamin, and adenosylcobalamin, plus folate (vitamin B9). This is recommended to treat various neurotransmitter and methylation mutations.
- B Supreme…a good high potency mixture of the B vitamins, which are important in detoxification, methylation, and brain neural chemistry.
- Homocysteine Supreme…formulated with vitamin B12 and natural folates as well as other compounds which assist methylation pathways and the important mutations which may contribute to an elevated homocysteine. This compound is very effective in lowering homocysteine levels. Homocysteine is a common blood study which should be part of the laboratory panels of all people over age 50.
- Vitamin D formulations…commonly recommended for the 50% of clients who have vitamin D receptor (VDR) mutations, which affects all body chemistry. This mutation event is important to consider in the production of the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine, which will tend to be low if the mutation is present. People with the lowest levels of vitamin D have as much as a 25-fold higher risk of mild cognitive impairment.
- NeuroMag…a threonic acid form of magnesium which crosses the blood brain barrier very efficiently and is a co-factor for the function of various brain enzymes.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)…this amino acid is the precursor to the production of the body’s most powerful antioxidant which is glutathione. It is essential to assist liver detoxification pathways, and such pathways are essential for brain health. Everyone has important mutations in the enzyme function of Phase I and Phase II liver detoxification enzymes. NAC is especially important to assist the Phase II enzymes. See the Journal writing entitled Detoxification for a more in-depth explanation of detoxification chemistry and recommendations. NAC improves cognition in Alzheimer’s patients when compared to placebo.
H is for Head Trauma
The brain is easily damaged in the confines of its hard skull enclosure. Injuries such as whiplash, jarring motions, blast injuries, blunt trauma blows to the head, penetrating skull injuries, and sudden deceleration forces are the usual kinds of mechanisms which cause traumatic brain injury (TBI). These kinds of concussive and penetrating injuries are a significant risk factor for the development of dementia.
I wrote about brain trauma in an important section of the Journal entitled Brain Health and the Degenerative Disease Spectrum.
Supplements which will assist the recovery of neural pathways subsequent to brain injuries include:
- Lithium Synergy…enhances neuroplasticity and neuroregeneration.
- Brain Vitale…enhances youthful levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine which gives speed, youthfulness, and memory. All of the elements in this compound are present to assist all aspects of optimal brain vitality.
- OmegAvail fish oil compounds…containing the long chain fatty acids EPA and DHA which are essential for cell membrane architecture and function as well as the production of the cell signaling chemical prostaglandin E3.
- DFH Complete Multi…a potent multivitamin, multimineral, and antioxidant blend which comes in blends with and without iron.
- NeuroMag…magnesium is usually low in most people in Amercian society due to our food choices and pharmaceutical usage. This mineral is essential for all cellular life and vitality because it is essential for the production of ATP in the mitochondria.
- Zinc Supreme…another mineral which is usually low in people and is also essential for brain health and tissue healing. Zinc helps improve clinical outcomes in TBI.
- MCT Colada…an emulsified form of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in a pleasant pineapple flavored liquid. The MCTs will be readily converted into ketones by the liver to assist fueling brain cells which are under duress.
- GPC…is glycerophosphocholine. See reading reference #13 below for a detailed description of the research which supports the use of GPC in treating TBI.
T is for Toxins
The post WWII period has brought widespread global pollution from an estimated 100,000 new petrochemical derivatives which get into our bodies from foods, water and other drinks, air and other fumes, and all sorts of lifestyle practices which we engage in, like using fluoridated toothpastes and various toxic cosmetic products.
The Journal entitled Detoxification is an important reading in this regard, as are the many references listed there. All of the DFH nutraceutical compounds listed and explained in that Journal reading are pertinent to this T is for Toxins letter in the BRIGHT MINDS mnemonic. This chapter of the Memory Rescue book is a good one to read and practice.
I recommend that you practice some form of daily detoxification efforts. This includes avoidance of toxicities in your life and well as consuming fresh foods, clean water, and inhaling non polluted air. Everyone on this planet is now carrying some level of hundreds of petrochemical xenobiotic compounds which were not present before WWII.
Here is a listing of the most important nutrient supplements which support detoxification of natural body metabolites as well as man made xenobiotic chemicals via the liver, gut, kidneys, skin, and lungs:
- LV-GB Complex…a capsule containing a variety of nutrients for assisting bile flow and thus the proper elimination of toxins. Contains hepatocellular protective silymarin, standardized to 80% silybins. Aids in the elimination of fat soluble toxins from the liver as well as the improved absorption of fats and fat soluble vitamins.
- Detox Antiox…a capsule containing Phase I and Phase II upregulating chemistry as well as a synergistic blend of antioxidants to help neutralize the oxidation by-products of detox pathways.
- Amino-D-Tox…a capsule containing a variety of amino acids which upregulate Phase II enzymes, ideal for people who are chronically ill due to chemical sensitivities and who are pathological or are imbalanced detoxifiers.
- Detoxification Support Packets…a packet containing the 3 excellent products listed above: 3 Amino-D-Tox capsules, 1 LV-GB capsule, and 1 Detox Antiox capsule. Usually 1 packet is used twice daily as a good starting point for detox programs. This is an excellent combo product.
- 14 Day Detox Kit…this comprehensive kit is a good combination of some of the products mentioned in this list.
- Milk Thistle…a capsule standardized to contain 80% silymarin. This phytochemical protects liver cells from direct toxicities due to alcohol, pharmaceuticals, and other exogenous toxins. Promotes the flow of bile.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)…a capsule containing the amino acid NAC which is the precursor to glutathione, the body’s most powerful and abundant antioxidant. NAC is well researched for its use in bronchial, lung, and liver disorders, and heavy metal detoxification. NAC is present in good amounts in both the Detox Antiox and the Amino-D-Tox products.
- Glutathione Powder…a powder form of reduced glutathione which has excellent absorbability. Ideal for patients with heavy metal toxicity or high oxidative stress. In capsule form the S-Acetyl Glutathione Synergy is superior. The very best way to take glutathione is in a liposomal form for oral transmucosal absorption called Liposomal Glutathione.
- VegeCleanse…a premier powder containing hypoallergenic (non lectin) pea protein as the base carrier for all of the nutrients needed to support and balance Phase I and Phase II metabolic pathways. It also contains high levels of antioxidants to support safe detoxification. This product can be used to assist the detox program fasting days, along with the broths and teas, etc.
- PaleoFiber…a powdered product containing 12 different types of fiber, is hypoallergenic, and also contains good amounts of probiotics (essential friendly bacteria). Contains 8.4 grams of soluble and insoluble fiber per serving.
- PaleoGreens…a green food powder containing vegetable, fruit, and berry ingredients made in a paleo profile: containing no grains, legumes, alfalfa, corn, gluten, fructose, artificial sweeteners, bulk or filling agents. Antioxidant and and high enzyme values are assured via careful preservation and processing.
- EssentiaGreens…a greens food product densely packed with high antioxidant vegetables, cleansing alkalizing grass juices, and a proprietary blend of fruits and berries. This powder product has a cranberry-orange flavor imparted to it by the addition of inulin, a prebiotic, which does not alter insulin levels.
- PaleoReds…an antioxidant rich powder combining over a dozen phytonutrient rich red and purple groups of fruits and vegetables. Contains natural bioflavonoid vitamin C from acerola cherry.
- Complete Mineral Complex–the minerals you need to run all of the electrochemical reactions in the body.
- Metal-X-Synergy…a natural formula designed to help safely shed the body burden of toxic metals such as aluminum, arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury without many of the common side effects found with the use of harsh synthetic chelating agents.
As we have come to the conclusion of the supplements which can be used to assist the central nervous system functions portrayed by the mnemonic BRIGHT, you have seen some repetitions of certain supplements. You also have noted that I do not recommend dosings in these kinds of generalized writings. Dosing is dependent on many individualized factors, such as body size, age, genetics, disease conditions being considered, lifestyle practices which may be in play, and polypharmacy regimens which may be in play.
Now we will shift to the MINDS mnemonic considerations.
M is for Mental Health
This letter in the BRIGHT MINDS mnemonic considers the many kinds of mental health disorders and diagnostic categories which have become very common in a dysfunctional society and a toxic world whose institutions are not teaching healthy lifestyle practices and who seem content to capitalize on the dumbed down suffering. The incidence of mental illness is rampant. Pharmaceuticals are routinely promoted as the treatment of choice, but this only worsens the problem in most cases.
The common mental disorders are ADHD, depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, stress, and PTSD. Most of us have experienced aspects of these disorders in a mild or more overt form.
The most important issues to confront and heal in most cases of mental illness are genetics, unresolved traumas, gut chemistry, neurotransmitter chemistry, and all of the negative lifestyle choices the individual is making.
Here are supplements which I commonly use to assist people who have various mental health problems to work out:
- OmegAvail fish oil compounds, particularly the Omegatrophic and the CannabOmega
- NeuroMag…magnesium is an essential mineral in all phases of brain chemistry and health. It is a necessary co-factor in mitochondrial production of the energy molecule of life which is ATP. This particular threonic acid form of magnesium penetrates the blood brain barrier efficiently.
- Zinc Supreme…a mineral which is usually deficient in Americans. This mineral is another important co-factor in brain chemistry.
- Vitamin D formulations…this vitamin is actually more of a hormone, and thus it is an important neurohormone. It is critical for a healthy brain, especially in the production of serotonin and dopamine.
- Brain Vitale…the combination of the precursors to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine makes this supplement a very important one to consider for multiple condition categories of the BRIGHT MINDS mnemonic.
- Lithium Synergy…regenerates brain cell neurons and calms bipolar tendencies.
- SAMe…S-adenosyl methionine is important in methylation chemistry efficiency and is effective in many cases of depression.
- 5-HTP Synergy and 5-HTP Supreme…5 hydroxytryptamine is the precursor amino acid to the formation of the neurotransmitter serotonin which helps us feel playful. It is also important for sleep, and it is the precursor to the formation of melatonin.
- Pharma GABA and Stress Arrest…gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) is the calming neurotransmitter which is made from the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate. Glutamate, in turn, is made from the amino acid glutamine. Glutamine is the fuel substrate responsible for the health of the cells of our gut.
- GI Revive…a powder or capsule combination of glutamine and many other gut health enhancing compounds.
- NeuroCalm…an effective calming mixture of GABA, 5-HTP, inositol, theanine, chamomile, taurine, B vitamins, and magnesium.
- L-Tyrosine…tyrosine is the precursor amino acid for the production of the neurotransmitter dopamine which gives the brain power and voltage. Dopamine levels are low in Parkinson’s disease and most mental disorders that I work with.
- DopaBoost…a unique combination of the herb macuna pruriens which raises dopamine levels, and L-tyrosine.
- Neurolink…an excellent mixture of L-tyrosine, GABA, 5-HTP, glutamine, inositol, and taurine in correct physiological ratios. This is one product which is capable of handling the common neurotransmitter imbalances which I encounter.
- Mood-Stasis…this interesting compound contains folate, vitamin 12, saffron, and sceletium extract. This compounding acts like a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor and a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Saffron has been used for a very long time to treat depression and dementia conditions.
- Catecholacalm…this compound is effective in helping those suffering from low cortisol and high catecholamines (norepinephrine and epinephrine).
- Adrenal Complex…an adrenal glandular based compound which supports adrenal function in those under stress. It helps balance cortisol, and replenish the catecholamine neurotransmitters which are dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine.
- Adrenotone…a combination of traditional adaptogenic herbs and nutrients which rejuvenate the adrenal glands and help balance the hypothalamic and pituitary functions.
I is for Immunity and Infections
A healthy immune system begins in the chemistry of the GI tract and moves on into considerations of other chemical influences, such as the chemistry of inflammation and the chemistry of key regulating immune system hormones, such as melatonin and vitamin D. The immune system which has its birth in the bone marrow and is lymphocyte elements are entrained in the thymus gland. Toxins of all sorts negatively affect bone marrow and thymic function.
Autoimmune conditions are now very common. There are now over 80 different known autoimmune conditions. These diseases start in the gut when the gut cellular barrier becomes permeable and allows for food macromolecules, which should not be in the blood stream, to activate the immune system and condition the immune cells to attack native cell lines. There are autoimmune conditions which attack nervous system cells. Multiple sclerosis is just one such condition. In many cases of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, antibodies are generated which also attach brain cells. Other types of autoimmune disorders affect central nervous system cell lines also.
DFH has an impressive suite of nutrient supplements which assist immune system health and function. In addition to some of these specific products, I most frequently recommend the following products to assist immune system health:
- Silvercillin Solution…this is a 4th generation nano particle ionic silver solution which is effective against bacteria, virus, and yeast. There is no toxicity. I wrote about this product extensively in this Journal entitled Silvercillin. It should be in every household medicine cabinet.
- Vitamin D formulations…a website writing entitled Vitamin D gives more detail on this vital nutrient.
- Melatonin…the hormone made in the pineal gland which entrains lymphocytes in the thymus gland and is responsible for the signaling of 3 main thymic hormones. Melatonin levels decline steadily after age 40. DFH has several types of melatonin formulations.
- Zinc Supreme…the mineral of the immune system. If zinc levels are low, as is usually the case in our culture, immune function is compromised. Zinc also co-factors many brain chemistry processes.
- Immune Support Packets…packets which contain a comprehensive array of various DFH immune supporting nutrients.
- Probiotic Supreme DF and Probiotic Synergy…a healthy gut microbiome is the first step in gut barrier health and integrity and a healthy balanced immune system.
- Stellar C…a rich mixture of vitamin C as ascorbic acid plus a variety of natural bioflavanoids.
- Liposomal Vitamin C…the most potent and effective way to get vitamin C absorption in high levels.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)…this amino acid is essential for the production of the body’s master antioxidant glutathione. Glutathione declines steadily with aging and is important as a modulator of oxidative stress which is a prominent feature of infections.
N is for Neurohormones
All major hormones made in major endocrine glands are known as biomarker hormones. They all decline with the aging process after age 40. These hormones are super critical for brain health and function, and whole body anti-aging. Aging is inevitable. We just want it to occur in a graceful fashion with the least suffering.
Testosterone and estrogen hormones are very important for brain health. These hormones are controlled substances and require a prescription by a physician who can prescribe for controlled pharmaceuticals. I do not recommend these 2 hormones unless you are using them in a bioidentical form, not as synthetic pharmaceutical forms which are complicated by toxicities.
Non pharmaceutical DFH products which are the best ones to assist neurohormone activity include:
- DHEA 5 mg. and DHEA 25 mg….Dehydroepiandrosterone is made in the adrenal cortex and is essential for youthful resiliency, adaptability, energy production, and vitality. It is an upstream metabolite in the production of downstream estrogen and testosterone.
- 7-Keto…a form of DHEA which does not convert into estrogen or androgenic hormones, and is desirable in some cases.
- Progest-Avail…a natural bioidentical form of progesterone in a liquid gel based suspension for transdermal absorption. Progesterone is a key central sex steroid hormone made in the ovary of premenopausal women and in the adrenal glands of both sexes. It is the precursor of cortisol, as well as being the main precursor of estrogen and testosterone.
- Pregnenolone CRT… a controlled release form of orally ingestible pregnenolone. This hormone is the first sex steroid hormone made in the adrenal gland from cholesterol. Thus, it is the precursor hormone to all hormones made in the adrenal cortex, including DHEA, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, and others. It is neuroprotective, is an anxiolytic, and its healthy levels support cognition and memory.
- Melatonin…this hormone’s levels peak between 1 AM to 3 AM to help regulate sleep and the circadian cycle. It is also a powerful antioxidant and regulator of immune system function. High dose melatonin is used in some cancer therapy protocols. It will probably be shown to be the master regulating hormone in the body. When I was in medical school in the mid-1970s its function was unknown and the pineal gland was thought to be a “vestigial organ.” Now many functions of melatonin have been elucidated, and I suspect more will be discovered. DFH has a variety of melatonin compounds of different strengths, compounding, methods of absorption, and methods of release.
- DIM-Evail…diindolemethane is a cruciferous vegetable extract which supports desired levels of healthy estrogen metabolites in both sexes. There is an estrogen metabolite known as 16 hydroxyestrone which is a toxic estrogen metabolite. This estrogen metabolite assists the microcellular events which lead to cancers of the breast, ovary, uterus, and prostate. DIM reduces the production of this negative estrogen metabolite, especially when a variety of common mutations are present in liver detox enzyme functions.
- LibidoStim M and LibidoStim F…these 2 products are a blend of nutraceutical and herbal ingredients which support healthy testosterone and estrogen metabolism, which in turn is good for the brain and for libido. These formulations are excellent. These products contain DIM. Ginkgo biloba and other hormone supportive traditional herbs are present in varying amounts in these 2 formulations. LibidoStim F contains 10 mg. of DHEA.
- FemGuard + Balance…a classical herbal blending to support healthy estrogen metabolism. This product contains traditional herbs, vitamins, and several potent antioxidants such as resveratrol and green tea extract. This blending also contains DIM.
- Thyroid Synergy…this product contains all of the precursor elements which support thyroid hormone production.
D is for Diabesity
This section considers the new diagnostic descriptive now being used known as Type III diabetes. This type of diabetes relates to blood sugar elevation and insulin resistance such that the brain cells are deprived of sugar as a fuel source. Fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1c, and insulin levels are elevated, indicating a global systemic diabetic condition, and such would also be the case for the brain cells.
When brain cells are deprived of their main fuel source they begin to function poorly, and then ultimately they die. Ketones are an alternate and more efficient brain cell fuel. Ketones can be acquired by eating high fat diets which are very low in carbohydrates, and moderately low in protein. The body then switches to fat burning which allows the liver to make ketone bodies for cellular fuel. Ketones are a more efficient cellular fuel substrate than glucose for use in the mitochondria where the cellular fuel ATP is made.
Diabetes is often accompanied by obesity (“diabesity”), hypertension, and other features of the metabolic syndrome. This is a very common precursor and contributor to dementia conditions. Aggressive lifestyle modifications via improved diet, exercise, stress reduction, and sleep improvement help alleviate diabetes of the brain (and body), and can restore healthy brain functions.
DFH supplements which help this condition are unique and effective and include:
- Keto-Nootropic…this formula is one of the more intriguing and therapeutic ones noted in this Journal. It is the best formula for use by people who have Type III diabetes wherein brain cells are unable to derive energy for efficient function from sugars such as glucose. This product provides exogenous ketones in the form of beta-hydroxybutyrate which freely enters brain and muscle cells. The resulting fueling of brain cells supports cognitive function, sharp focus, and mental acuity. This product will save brain cells from dying, especially in those with prediabetic or diabetic conditions. The formula contains American ginseng which enhances calm clarity. The need for carbohydrate restriction, a feature of ketogenic diets, is lessened by using this pleasant mango tangerine flavored powder in any liquid of choice. One scoop of the powder also provides 555 mg. of calcium and 220 mg. of magnesium. Citric acid and malic acid are present and act as intermediates in mitochondrial production of ATP. This is a very important brain nutritional supplement in this product line.
- Metabolic Synergy…this multivitamin/multimineral/antioxidant/antiglycation formula is a potent and very important formulation for those who are dealing with any feature of metabolic syndrome. The formula helps maintain healthy glucose and insulin levels while supporting mitochondrial conversion of carbohydrates into ATP.
- Carnosine Supreme…carnosine is an important nutrient found in meat which reduces glycation of proteins by sugars. Advanced glycosylated end products (AGEs) are a key contributor to the aging process. Elevated blood sugar increases a chemical reaction of the sugar with functional and structural proteins. The resulting complexes of sugar and protein are known as an Advanced Glycosylated End Products (AGEs). The body does not have an effective way to remove these complexes and so they deposit in the flesh, and affect the health of all cell lines. Carnosine interferes with the formation of AGEs. It is also present in the Metabolic Synergy, described above.
- MCT Colada…an emulsified form of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in a pleasant pineapple flavored liquid. The MCTs will be readily converted into ketones by the liver to assist fueling brain cells which are deficient in their usual fuel source which is glucose.
- Berb-Evail…a highly bioavailable formulation containing 400 mg. of berberine per capsule. This plant alkaloid supports healthy blood sugar levels and enhances insulin sensitivity. Berberine has been shown to be as effective as the pharmaceutical metformin in controlling blood sugar.
- Berberine Synergy…a mixture of 400 mg. of berberine with 100 mg. of the antioxidant lipoic acid which also is known for its ability to support healthy insulin levels and sensitivity.
- GlucoSupreme Herbal…an effective blending of herbs and botanicals which support healthy blood sugar levels via a variety of mechanisms. This formula also contains berberine at a dose of 500 mg. per 4 capsules.
- Sensitol…this capsule contains 2 forms of inositol, plus lipoic acid, to support normal insulin function and cellular metabolism.
- Lipoic Acid Supreme…lipoic acid is an important antioxidant which is required by the mitochondria where oxygen free radicals are produced in the transformation of oxygen, carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in the production of the cellular energy molecule ATP. If lipoic acid is not readily abundant in the mitochondria then free radical damage will occur in the mitochondrial structure and affect its function. Lipoic acid also assists insulin sensitivity.
- Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid Supreme…this form of lipoic acid provides a stabilized R-lipoic isomer which may offer a significant advantage over using the S-lipoic acid forms. This technical feature of the formulation provides a stabilized form of the R isomer. I recommend this form of lipoic acid to those who use the Metabolic Synergy which contains the S lipoic isomer.
- Chromium Synergy…the mineral chromium assists all aspects of healthy blood sugar levels and is the featured ingredient in this formulation, which also contains other ingredients for healthy blood sugar, namely, zinc, vanadium, manganese, taurine, and vitamin D.
- EndoTrim…a formulation containing an array of well studied botanicals, vitamins, minerals, tyrosine, GABA, and carnitine which serve to assist healthy insulin, leptin, and cortisol functions which, in turn, supports fat metabolism and lean body mass.
- CraveArrest…supports optimal balance of serotonin and dopamine which, if deficient, will drive cravings for carbohydrates. This product contains 5-HTP, L-tyrosine, taurine, and the adrenal adaptogen rhodiola rosea.
S is for Sleep
The ability to have natural uninterrupted sleep is a grace and a blessing which can be safeguarded and engendered. We need 7 to 8 hours of sleep each day in order for regenerative biochemistry processes to occur. The brain detoxifies during sleep by means of its lymphatic system known as the glial cell glymphatics. Sleep is restorative to all brain functions. Healthy sleep is the best mitigating lifestyle practice for stress, and is as important as healthy food choices. We should continue to enhance our sleep life. Moreover, dreaming is another healing mechanism as it helps detoxify the psyche.
The following DFH products are very helpful and effective for good sleep:
- Insomnitol Chewables and Capsules…contains melatonin and 5-HTP, as well as inositol and theanine. Theanine is a calming neurotransmitter. The very pleasant chewables give a fast oral transmucosal dose of melatonin, and is preferred by many.
- Melatonin…a stand alone melatonin tablet containing 3 mg. of melatonin. This tablet can be split down for smaller dosing of the melatonin, which is important for those who are very sensitive to melatonin.
- Melatonin SRT…6 mg. of melatonin in an overnight extended release form.
- NeuroCalm…is helpful to use in the evening hours to begin to calm and soothe an overactive brain.
- 5-HTP Synergy and 5-HTP Supreme…50 mg. vs 100 mg. of 5-HTP which helps induce and support sleep.
- Zinc Supreme…supports the calming balance given by parasympathetic nervous system activity.
I have recommended all of the supplements described above, in various combinations, to assist clients’ brain health, as well as their general systemic health. The supplements from Designs for Health are very effective in restoring biochemical balance and health.
Dosing recommendations are not mentioned in this writing because individual variability of genetics, disease conditions, polypharmacy regimens, and basic lifestyle practices require consideration to determine the best dosing amounts. These supplements are very safe. After 3 decades of recommending different kinds of nutritional supplements, I have never encountered any kind of significant complication from my recommendations for nutritional supplementation. An occasional patient has complained of more frequent bowel movements. This is usually related to magnesium use.
In coming to a more simplified conclusion about what may be the most important supplements that I most commonly recommend from the 11 categories above, I’ll attempt to simplify the long listing by referring back to Dr. Dale Bredesen’s 6 categories of Alzheimer categories which was presented in the Journal entitled Preventing and Reversing Dementia.
I’ll summarize and paraphrase his explanation of the 6 types from that Journal.
“Type 1 is inflammatory (“hot”), and the inflammation may be due to pathogens or other inflammatory factors such as trans fats.”
It is important to distinguish if inflammatory chemistry is being driven purely by inflammatory chemistry or if it is being driven by infectious agents. The treatment for these 2 considerations is different, but there is some common chemistry to consider.
DFH supplements which help both inflammation and infections include:
- OmegAvail fish oil supplements
- Vitamin D formulations
- Probiotic Supreme DF and Probiotic Synergy
“Type 2 is atrophic (“cold”) and is associated with reductions in trophic support such as nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, estradiol, vitamin D, and other trophic, hormonal, or nutritional support.”
DFH has a number of formulations which support BDNF, neurohormones, and vitamin D levels:
- Lithium Synergy
- Vitamin D formulations
- DHEA 5 mg. and DHEA 25 mg
- Pregnenolone CRT
“Then there is a common combination of type 1 and type 2—type 1.5, or glycotoxic (“sweet”)—that combines the inflammation of high glucose (e.g., via AGEs, advanced glycation endproducts) with the trophic loss of insulin resistance.”
At present, the most common contributing risk factor for Alzheimer’s dementia, and other problems, is an elevated blood sugar. This must be looked at in all people above age 55, and managed with intention (aggressively) via healthy lifestyle changes. The metabolic syndrome, which includes diabesity, predisposes brain cells to dysfunction and atrophy. Insulin elevation is a serious pro-inflammatory risk problem which contributes to the brain being on fire, as well as a number of other chemical derangements which affect brain health, such as testosterone decline. However, not all of the supplements recommended in the D is for Diabesity section would be recommended for use at the same time. The most important ones to consider for prediabetes and diabetes (which comprise Type III diabetes) are:
- Metabolic Synergy
- Carnosine Supreme
- GlucoSupreme Herbal
- Lipoic Acid Supreme vs. Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid Supreme
“Type 3 is toxic (“vile”) and is associated with exposure to toxins such as mycotoxins (mold) or chemotoxins (e.g., mercury).”
In general, everyone of us living in the various toxicities of our current environment and everyone of us who practices a lifestyle of types of toxic exposures needs to be utilizing some kind of detoxification methods on a daily basis. The Detox Support Packets are going to supply the liver with everything it needs to run Phase I and Phase II liver detox enzyme systems. Detox Antiox, LV-GB, and Amino-Detox is in this packet array. The addition of a fiber supplement like PaleoFiber will help bind toxins excreted by the liver in the gut so that the toxins are not reabsorbed in the gut. Therefore, the 2 most effective products to support detoxification are:
“Type 4 is vascular (“pale”) and is associated with reduced vascular support.”
Diseases of the heart and blood vessels, especially conditions of the carotid arteries and intracerebral blood vessels, will negatively affect brain health. Healthy blood flow brings all nutrients to the brain, and carries away cellular by-products of metabolism. DFH supplements which support heart and blood vessel health include:
“Type 5 is traumatic (“dazed”) and is associated with previous head trauma.”
Any past head injury is important, especially if other risk factors are present. Such risk factors include damaging negative lifestyle practices which will always magnify the significance of any head injury. DFH supplements which support neuronal regeneration include:
The purpose of this Journal writing on brain health nutrients is to serve as a reference point of study for patients that I work with who have varieties of degenerative disease concerns, polypharmacy regimens from the conventional medical industry, growing brain health concerns, and all of the lifestyle issues which support these now common problems.
The scaled down listing of the many supplements presented in the Bredesen categories is a listing of the compounds I recommend most frequently. Every case is different because of all of the genetic and lifestyle factors and the resulting biochemistry which must be considered. Thus, every patient client is going to receive different nutritional supplement recommendations.
The most important supplements from the numerous lists above can be scaled down even further and considered in a very basic foundational grouping. This very basic list includes:
- A multivitamin/multimineral…either DFH Complete Multi, Metabolic Synergy, or Mitochondrial NRG
- OmegAvail formulations
- Vitamin D formulations
- Probiotic formulations
- Brain Vitale
- Lithium Synergy
- Detox Antiox
This particular grouping of 8 supplements covers an enormous amount of basic genetic and biochemical health considerations. In today’s toxic environment where stress is universal and food industry problems are everywhere, I think it is very important to maintain a nutritional supplement regimen for health maintenance and disease prevention.
If you come down with some disease condition and a diagnosis is applied to your life, the chances are very high that you will receive a pharmaceutical from some conventional physician who makes no attempt to counsel you on lifestyle issues. Then you go on to develop another disease condition, another diagnosis, and another pharmaceutical recommendation. This goes on and on in the lives of many people.
All of this chaos is preventable. It is also reversible. Disease should be viewed as the beginning of the healing process.
In summary, the lifestyle practices which will insure a healthy brain, body, and life include:
- Eat right for your brain…Eliminate processed foods, sugars, and refined carbohydrates. Increase clean plant based foods and healthy fats.
- Use brain supporting supplements…as above for the basic information.
- Exercise…Find and practice the body movement forms you love.
- Sleep…Improve it, and remove all sources of EMF while you sleep.
- Learn to relax a little more with every day and every breath…Reduce stress. Connect with others and with nature. Practice meditation.
- Train your brain…Learn new things, all the time.
- Detox your life…Live clean and green by removing all of the many toxins of today’s world and the clutter that comes from our overwrought addictive consumerist habits.
- Unravel and learn to forgive your many trauma imprints…please see the Journal on Adverse Childhood Events.
- Connect with spirit…Learn about your passions and what spirit intends to do in your life, and connect with That.
- Know your heart…Learn about what your heart is doing besides pumping blood around, and connect with that. See Heart Electromagnetics, Part I, II, III, and IV.
Disease is the beginning of the healing process. Having an illness can be viewed as an evolutionary process which you can use to determine where your life is going, and what steps you need to take to correct the trajectory of your life and health. You can use illness to prioritize your value system and lifestyle choices. This is what many people describe as “my wake up call.”
Try to look beyond mere diagnostic labels into the deeper issues of body-mind-emotions-spirit.
“A rising tide lifts all boats.” …. John F. Kennedy
Thank you for reading.
Signing off from Crestone and Beyond
Associated Reading and References…this list will be expanded over time.
- Lithium’s Role in Brain Health
- Lithium’s Billion Year Journey: A Cinderella Story for Brain Health…a very good article on lithium’s history, chemistry and benefits.
- Nutritional Lithium: Orchestrating Our Genes & Optimizing Our Moods…how lithium works at the genetic level to increase BDNF.
- New study demonstrates zinc supplementation improves clinical outcomes from traumatic brain injury…As time goes by, many more micronutrients will be investigated in like fashion.
- Articles about creatine and brain health
- Bacopa monnieri–Time-Honored Nootropic…this valuable brain health herb is featured in the CogniAid product seen in the text under the Blood Flow and Retirement categories.
- A Useful Genetic Test?…a short explanation of the APOe gene issue by Andrew Weil, M.D. This is a useful study but the results do not necessarily predict dementia with certainty. One’s lifestyle is the most important determinant for any disease.
- APOe Genotyping, Alzheimer Disease…simple facts about APOe testing.
- Alzheimer genes: Are you at risk?…the Mayo Clinic weighs in with information on other genetic variants to consider besides APOe…such as presinilin 1 (PSEN1) and presinilin 2 (PSEN2) and the amyloid precursor protein (APP).
- Medium-Chain Triglycerides: Offering Up Brain-Boosting Ketones…Dr. David Brady explains medium chain triglycerides (MCT) role in improving our keto-deficient diets and lives. This is an important consideration in treating dementia conditions.
- Histamine’s Effect on Memory (Goldfish Brain)…the inflammatory chemical known as histamine is also a normal neurotransmitter, but it has other effects on our brain when elevated.
- Brain Health and Nutrition…a 50 minute audio presentation by clinicians at Designs for Health who discuss the fine points of a number of the important brain enhancing supplements profiled above.
- GPC & TBI…Connecting the Dots…a very nice summary of the research from the people at Designs for Health which indicates that glycerophosphocholine (GPC) improves healing from TBI.
- Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams…some helpful information about the health benefits of sleep.
- Ghost in the Machine, Part 4–The War on Supplements, Essential Oils and Homeopathy…an important corruption of Big Pharma worth understanding.
- Curcumin Supplementation May Impart Long-Term Cognitive Benefits…the many important benefits of curcumin are highlighted here. The best Design for Health curcumin product is Curcum-Evail which is made for maximum absorption.
- Cardiovascular Effects of Berberine: A Review of the Literature…this article reviews the biochemistry of berberine and some of the world literature which support its use for all cardiovascular disorders, as well as for blood glucose regulation.
- Nutrition for Your Brain, Part I…a nice interview on Health Quest podcast which reviews qualities of a number of the supplements listed above.
- New review demonstrates a role for branched chain amino acids (BCAA) in traumatic brain injury…the data and information about how to help TBI keeps coming in. I think the most important variable in TBI outcomes is the lifestyle of those who have been injured. If a TBI victim can maintain a wholesome lifestyle and add in the best brain nutrients which are appropriate for their genetics and other conditions, then a good outcome should ensue.
- Magnesium–One of the Most Important Minerals for Heart Health…a very nice summary of magnesium and its many important biochemical roles in our health. It is especially important in mitochondrial health and cell division health. This article examines a number of its important positive effects, such as in heart and brain health. Some of the magnesium products offered by Designs for Health are seen here. The premier magnesium product from DFH is a magnesium threonate product called NeuroMag.
- Insulin Resistance and Cognitive Decline…neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter discusses a recent publication entitled “Insulin resistance as a key link for the increased risk of cognitive impairment in the metabolic syndrome.” This article appeared in the journal Experimental and Molecular Medicine.
- Link Between Sugar and Alzheimer’s Strengthens…this is a very good summary article about Alzheimer’s disease from the Mercola website. Interesting new information on insulin and brain health is presented. Posted here on 2-22-18.
- Sex is good for the brain: See here, here, and here.