Today’s Journal entry presents a grouping of articles about Crestone. I have listed the recent magazine articles in chronological order of appearance. There are some other articles from a few other sources, including one which I wrote for this Journal back in 2010.
We moved to Crestone from Boulder in July, 2007. After we set up home here, a number of magazine articles began to appear in prominent publications. Here is the listing for your curiosity and perusal.
This collection of articles will answer most questions and curiosities which you may have about this community way down at the end of a county road.
Your best bet is to come here and experience a rare and unique small community nestled in an extraordinary physical setting.
1) From U.S. News & World Report, November 16, 2007, A Spiritual Community Takes Root, by Jeffery Paine, appearing in an entire “Special Issue” of the magazine, which is entitled “Sacred Places.” The magazine issue featured places of spiritual pilgrimage and community all over the globe.
2) From the New York Times, January 11, 2008, For Many a Follower, Sacred Ground in Colorado, by Finn-Olaf Jones. This is a good article.
3) From Yahoo! Contributor Network, March 4, 2011, Why Crestone, Colorado?, an article by Kelly VanArsdale, written as a follow on to Sunset Magazine’s earlier article entitled Top Ten Places to Live in the West. Crestone is ranked second by Sunset Magazine.
4) From the Los Angeles Times, June 19, 2011, Eccentrics, Dreamers, and Seekers Flock to Crestone, Colorado by David Kelly. By this time I know all of the folks mentioned in this article, but the flavor of the article is a bit skewed to portray our fair community in a far out new age manner, which is only a small, but vital part of the truth about the place.
5) From Wikipedia, an objective and recently posted article about Crestone, Colorado.
6) A long term look at plans for our town as well as the local San Luis Valley region can be seen at: www.ScSEED.org. This site is about the Sustainable Environment and Economic Development project in the San Luis Valley. Here you can learn about the Crestone Redevelopment Project (CRP).
7) I wrote a general information Journal posting about Crestone. About Crestone was posted on this Journal on May 30, 2010. It rounds out some of the journalistic hash noted in some of the articles above with some practical information about this place.
Come and see.
Signing off from Crestone and Beyond.
Two Good Videos about Crestone: